In the modern world, new technologies are constantly emerging to create a stylish and comfortable interior. One of these technologies is the sliding doors, which quickly gained popularity in the design of various residential premises. Their use allows you to save space, and also gives the interior a modern and unusual appearance. However, when choosing such doors, it is necessary to understand the difference between sliding and conventional sliding doors, as well as their main advantages and disadvantages.
Feature of sliding doors and their difference from sliding structures
Sliding doors - structures in which the leaves go to the side. Sliding doors are also moved apart to the sides, but equipped with wheels at the top and bottom, which helps to distribute the weight.
Sliding doors have a more rigid and reliable support. Sliding structures do not have a lower point of support, therefore fail faster.
Thus, sliding as compared to sliding doors have better performance characteristics:
- Due to the presence of the door support to the floor, the retractable structures serve much longer without losing the basic performance characteristics.
- In the process, the sliding doors do not jam and are always in a level position. However, this moment, first of all, depends on the quality of the construction and the correctness of its installation.
- High-quality sliding doors with two pairs of rollers work easily and quietly. Especially if they are equipped with soft rubber wheels.
Another fundamental difference between the two types of doors is that the sliding structures are always double-leaf. They can not move only in one direction. Sliding doors can be either double or single.
Sliding doors are made without rollers. They can be made on the basis of the doors for the cabinet. To understand the difference between sliding metal, glass or wooden doors from sliding structures, it is necessary to understand their main advantages and disadvantages.
Pros and cons of sliding doors
Retractable designs differ from swing doors not only in technical characteristics, but also advantages in use. The main advantages include:
- The use of sliding doors allows you to increase the space in the room thanks to the use of special mechanisms.
- Excellent masking of the room.
- Stylish and modern design, which makes it possible to use designs in the interior of any style.
- An additional opportunity to control the opening of interior doors with an automatic mechanism.
- A wide range of materials, design and accessories.
- No reaction to drafts. Sliding doors under the influence of sudden closing or wind can start to rattle.
- The design does not take up much space, so it can be used in any premises.
- Can be used as a door for a dressing room, bedroom, children's room, bathroom or kitchen.
- Reliability and durability of work, which is guaranteed by two pairs of rollers.
Despite the obvious advantages of installing sliding doors, they also have a number of drawbacks that must be considered when choosing them. These include:
- Having a lower guide that can be a problem when moving young children or the elderly.
- Rail with wheels on the floor constantly collect dirt and debris, which is hard to get rid of. To clean it will have to use a damp cloth or a special nozzle on the vacuum cleaner.
- Interior sliding doors have a low rate of thermal and sound insulation, so they can not be used as entrance doors.
- For the operation of the sliding mechanism, it is required to use the wall space near the doorway, so it will not be possible to decorate it.
- The cost of sliding doors, as well as accessories to them is much higher than conventional structures.
- To install interior sliding doors, requires the services of a professional master. It will be difficult to conduct work on your own.
Thus, before you buy sliding doors in an aluminum frame made of plastic or glass, you must weigh the pros and cons. For example, if you use sliding doors in the bathroom or in the kitchen, you can save precious space, but to protect against noise and cold, such designs will not work.
Design and materials for sliding doors
Retractable doors have a stylish and modern design, and therefore are very popular. And if earlier only plastic doors were made using this technology, now you can find modern and high-quality sliding glass doors or solid aluminum structures.
As a rule, manufacturers of such doors prefer to use lightweight materials. Aluminum or plastic doors do not require such a serious and expensive foundations and mechanisms. However, the doors can be made of natural wood or chipboard.
Glass is also used for the manufacture of sliding doors. Most often it is used for the manufacture of wardrobe doors, kitchen or as partitions in the room. Glass can be opaque, tinted or with stained glass paintings. Mirrors can also be used.
Elite sliding doors are made of natural wood, with inserts of leather and fabric, and there are also combined models with mirrors. More accessible designs are PVC doors, aluminum and plastic constructions.
The material is determined depending on the purpose of the structure, as well as the style of the interior where it will be used. For example, aluminum and glass constructions are used for hi-tech interiors, and wooden doors for classic rooms. For modern interior styles, it is advisable to use radial doors and other unusual designs.
Retractable doors are used in ecological style. Flax, leather, veneer, bamboo and natural fabric are used to create this style in the interior. In the Mediterranean style of decoration of the room, plastic and aluminum doors with bright coating and glass inserts will look most successful.
Thus, sliding doors are unusual, comfortable and durable designs for the design of virtually any room. However, when buying such doors, you need to choose only high-quality structures, and the installation should be trusted by professional craftsmen.