The main functional purpose of the curtains is to cover the room from prying eyes and protect it from the penetration of sunlight. In addition, the curtains on the windows can not only transform the interior, but also adjust the design features of the room. Such products are an integral part of the interior of any style, and they are represented by many varieties. Among them - and narrow curtains on the windows.
Features of the use of narrow curtains in the interior
Making a standard window opening is not difficult, because in the design world there are many stylish and original ideas, but to choose curtains for a narrow window is a rather complicated task, which is often only possible by professional designers.
There are various design techniques for the design of narrow windows. The following options for curtains are excellent for such structures:
- fabric curtains;
- various types of roller blinds;
- Roman curtains.
Often, designers for narrow windows choose Roman curtains, while, according to experts, should prefer bright monochromatic products or prints in the form of small horizontal contrast stripes. Small flower drawings are inappropriate for narrow curtains, such a print makes them look like roll wallpaper.
High narrow windows have two significant drawbacks - they visually narrow the space of the room and reduce the amount of light that penetrates into the apartment or house. Proceeding from this feature of narrow and high window structures, the curtains in the interior should solve this problem: visually expand the room, make it more spacious and light.
When making narrow windows, designers recommend to follow these rules and recommendations:
- You can expand the area of the room with the help of a correctly chosen eaves To do this, it is enough to hang the curtains on the eaves, the length of which exceeds the width of the window construction by at least 50 cm. Portieres should be selected in accordance with the width of the eaves.
- In rooms with narrow windows and high ceilings, you can use curtains with horizontal patterns. Horizontal pattern will visually expand the room, but this technique would not be appropriate for rooms with low ceilings.
- It is best to decorate a narrow and at the same time low window with a lambrequin. This technique will allow you to hide the free space above the window, and the ceilings will appear higher. Another good idea for such windows is the location of the eaves below the ceiling and the use of long narrow curtains that go all the way to the floor.
- Spacious rooms with high and narrow windows often look very uncomfortable, in such a room a person can even feel uncomfortable. To improve the situation and transform the interior, you can pick up the curtains on the windows in bright colors with large prints. These can be flowers or geometric shapes. The width of the curtains should strictly comply with the size of the window opening, otherwise the folds will hide the pattern, and the original design idea will be lost.
- Very often in the interior of a modern room the central place is given to the window. It may have an unusual shape, beautiful glass with a stained glass or pattern, an unusual painting or carving. In no case should not hide it behind the curtains, on the contrary, it should focus on this part of the interior. Light translucent curtains on the windows would be appropriate. If these windows are installed in the bedroom to protect the room from the sun's rays, you can use roller blinds. During the day, such curtains can be lifted by opening beautiful windows, and if necessary, create an atmosphere of twilight in the room - lower.
Curtains on narrow windows can be made of various materials. Curtains made of cotton, linen, silk, wool and polyester will be appropriate. Asymmetry, layering, ribbons look great.
Narrow windows can be decorated in different styles. The most winning options for such window openings will be the following styles:
- Classic - choose a long curtain of rectangular shape, reaching to the floor. At registration you can use lambrequins, but here you should not get too carried away with the decor.
- Australian style. This style is characterized by the use of narrow curtains with a large number of folds, resembling an accordion.
- Roman curtains. This is a lifting version of the curtains that are fastened with velcro to the lifting mechanism. Other curtain lifting models - French, London, Chinese, roll, pleated - will also be good options for narrow windows in the living room.
Despite the variety of styles, the most common is the classic design. The narrow curtains of the classic style are two woven stripes located on both sides of the window. As a decor, a lambrequin can be placed above the window opening. Classic curtains are the most versatile elements of the interior. They can be used in such rooms:
- living room;
- work rooms.
Cafe style is another actual design option for narrow curtains. Such products are straight dense stripes with lambrequin on top. Fabrics of bright colors are preferred.
Living room and bedroom design
In the bedroom and living room, narrow curtains connected with a ribbon will look beautiful and harmonious. When using this model of curtains on the window, two narrow curtains are hung at the sill level. This option would be appropriate only for spacious rooms with high ceilings. With the help of such an unusual design, the interior of the room will become more elegant and attractive.
Narrow versions of the curtains on the grommets are quite common. Grommets are called plastic rings on which fabric webs are attached. These rings curtains and mounted on the eaves. The best material for curtains on the grommet is light tulle, mesh, organza, silk.
Narrow curtains for the kitchen
In the kitchen, you can use so popular today Roman blinds. At the same time for this zone of the house, located in the northern part, it is desirable to choose products from light materials, well transmitting light. If your kitchen faces south, you can choose kitchen curtains for narrow windows in any color scheme, taking into account the overall style of the room.
It is not necessary for the kitchen to choose long curtains, they can reach the window sill. Often, the hostess for this room use two sets of Roman curtains - separately for the warm and cold season.
For winter, light translucent curtains are suitable, which will allow daylight into the room well. For the summer period it is necessary to give preference to dense materials that can protect the hostess from exhausting heat.
Blinds are another good option for the kitchen. They are represented by such species:
When choosing narrow roller blinds for the kitchen, you should consider exactly which zone they will be located on the windows. If you need curtains for the dining area, you can choose fabric products. When making a window in the zone where the process of cooking will take place, it is advisable to use bamboo and wooden rolling mechanisms.
Narrow curtains - an interesting and fairly common version of products for the decoration of windows. They are widely used in interior design with narrow windows.