The most vulnerable place in the house is the windows: through them dust enters the rooms, wind penetrates, noise from the street, and thieves sneak through. But since there were no windows in the house, there were invented shutters that protect it from natural inconveniences, prying eyes and uninvited guests. There was a time when every window was equipped with shutters, and here they are again in fashion and decorate private houses and country houses.
Varieties of shutters
The design of the shutters has practically not changed over the centuries of history, so they are often used not only for protection purposes, but also for the creation of a semi-antique facade. Using decorative plates, carved platbands, figured holes, you can decorate the facade of the house and select it from the general row. There are several types of shutters with small design differences.
Types of shutters:
- Classic shutters. They have two symmetric doors, located on both sides of the window opening. This is the most common type of construction used on windows of standard sizes;
- Single shutters. Installed on narrow windows, when it is impractical to hang two doors. It can be mounted on either side of the window, as long as it is convenient to open them;
- Folding shutters. Folds consist of two or more lamellae that open according to the accordion principle. Can be installed both on one and on both sides of the window;
- Shutters, blinds. With the help of a turning mechanism, the horizontal strips are rotated, so that the amount of light entering the room can be adjusted.
In addition to differences in design, the shutters differ in the material of manufacture. The most common wooden shutters are installed in wooden houses: timber, frame, timbered. Also, wooden shutters can be installed on the windows of brick houses.
Plastic shutters, on the contrary, do not stand out for their great strength, but are more attractive in terms of design and cost.
They are made with imitation of various wood textures and are popular in private houses, surrounded by a fence, where the owners live permanently.
In addition to external, there are internal options shutters. Since they are installed on the window from inside the room, their design must match the interior of the room. In comparison with street models, internal shutters on windows have a significant advantage: they do not need to open a window or go outside to open them. This is especially convenient in winter or autumn in rainy weather.
Since strength is not the main advantage of decorative shutters, their doors can be made of thick paper or fabric: the window is closed from prying eyes, and at the same time a certain amount of light enters the room. But the most popular internal shutters, blinds with rotating horizontal slats. They can always be kept in the closed position by adjusting the flow of light coming from outside.
It is easiest to make shutters for windows in the country from wood - this is the available material, and if the appearance of the structure does not have big complaints, they can be made from used boards, and then just painted.
You will need the following tools:
- band and milling saw;
From materials besides boards, bars with a section of 130X60 mm, window sheds or hinges, screws, nails are needed. Boards are best used with a groove-thorn system, which fit snugly to one another, leaving no gaps.
How to make sash for swing shutters:
- The window opening is measured and the sash drawing is carried out. The height and width should be equal to the height and width of the window opening along the outer edges of the slopes.
- Since the wooden shutters will consist of two leaves, the resulting width is divided into 2.
- Shields are assembled for panels: boards are cut to length and adjusted to the width.
- Having departed from the top and bottom edges of 20 cm, in the shields with the help of a band saw horizontal dovetail grooves are selected, and then expanded with a hand milling saw to 10 cm.
- The bar for the cross member (3–4 cm wider than the cut groove) is attached end-to-end to the milling cut, and marks are made on it in the shape of the groove.
- On a milling machine, longitudinal grooves of the dovetail configuration are cut in the crossbars.
- The bars are installed in the thorn-groove system.
- Crossbars are screwed to the boards of the board with screws.