Each grower is not alien to the desire as soon as possible to see the fruit of their labors. One of the most appreciative of plants is dieffenbachia - a tropical plant that has been cultivated as an indoor plant for over a hundred years.
The spectacular member of the aroid family, the indoor flower dieffenbachia, deservedly enjoys the recognition of gardeners. The natural environment of this plant are humid tropics and subtropics, but it perfectly acclimatized in the office or a normal apartment. The fast-growing, large, with succulent stems plant with beautiful foliage (bright green or variegated, interspersed with white, yellow or light green color) has become a worthy decoration of offices and greenhouses.
Popular office and apartment views
Lovers got accustomed to various types of Dieffenbachia, bush and stem. Most running:
- Spotted. Perhaps the most common representative. Reaches up to two meters in height, leaf width up to 12 cm with petiole length up to 40 cm. White or yellowish spots of irregular shape evenly distributed over the whole leaf. Blooms; the first flowering occurs no earlier than after two years of cultivation. To see the flower of dieffenbachia is considered to be the luck of the grower, this gift can only be obtained by providing quality care at home. A seemingly spikelet in the form of a cob, wrapped in the bosom of a leaf, can also give fruit to the most persistent pollinators: reddish berries.
- Large leaf Differs monotonous green color, the height of the stem - up to one meter. The leaf is large, ovoid.
- Dieffenbachia Bauman. The leaves of this species are covered with a small marble pattern, up to seventy centimeters in size.
- Dieffenbachia Vesuvius. It has narrow elongated leaves, is considered the most variegated.
- Dieffenbachia Leopold. On a short stalk light green leaves are placed 35 cm long, with a clearly pronounced white stripe in the center.
- Spray. A plant with a slight spotting, a large white vein in the center of the leaf, up to 70 cm vistom, giving abundant bushy growth.
Features planting dieffenbachia
How to plant dieffenbachia? You need to start with the dishes, which will grow expensive heart plant. Knowing which of the varieties of dieffenbachy managed to get a bush or a high-growing, we can choose the type of pot.
For the bush form of the pot does not matter, more attention should be paid to the volume and height. The pot should be wide so that the expected young shoots have free space for growth. As the space is filled, we are transplanting a bush with a full replacement of land or transshipment with partial replacement and the necessary expansion of the “living space”.
For typical varieties of dieffenbachia, where the height of a luxurious plant reaches from one meter to two, and the size of the leaf with the handle is 35-40 cm, you need to take care of a decent place of growth. From planting to flowering can take from two to four years. In the first six months, while the plant is gaining momentum, the pot should be sized (height x width) conditionally comparable to the size of a leaf with a handle, i.e. 20x20 cm. As the pot grows, it is necessary to significantly increase it for two reasons:
- The plant dieffenbachia requires a sufficient amount of nutrients and moisture. The smaller the earthen room, the less the plant will receive feed for growth, the more often it will have to be watered and fed.
- To respect the elementary balance. Thick juicy stem, or even two or three, easily turned over the pot with insufficient weight. Conventionally, the weight of the earth coma should be at least twice the weight of the green mass. If the amount of soil will be more, dieffenbachia, planted in good soil, will thank the owner with lush, radiant freshness, greenery.
Ideal in terms of sustainability, the shape of the pot for tall dieffenbachy is a cube. There are enough ceramic and plastic vases of a cubic form on sale. For those who have a talent for carpentry, it will not be difficult to build a beautiful country-style tub that creates ideal conditions for growth: the roots will receive the maximum amount of oxygen for breathing, the excess moisture will easily evaporate. Yes, and the weight of a wooden product is much less than ceramic, which will help keep the floor in places of pressure from deformation.
Caring care: simple tips
Diffenbachia at home can not just grow, but also to bloom, bear fruit and multiply in various ways.
How to water dieffenbachia? The main thing is not to overwet the soil. The cultivation of dieffenbachia should be carried out in pots with good drainage and in the soil of a special composition containing 1 part of sand, two parts of peat, two parts of sod land and 1 part of humus. Turf carefully check for the presence of insect larvae and worms, so you do not look for the cause, why the leaves dry and whether the plant has a mysterious disease. For drainage it is better to use expanded clay or broken brick.
Tropical plants love humid air, if the tips of the leaves began to dry out - this is the first signal to humidify the environment. In the summer, spraying should be carried out as often as possible, in the winter - once a day is enough.
One of the secrets of how to take care of dieffenbachia is to properly position the plant relative to the light source. Growing different varieties, we try to orient rich green plants closer to the window, motley and with large white patches - shade or place in the far corner. Variegated varieties grown in bright light can easily lose their decorative effect.
Periodically, leaves on plants must be cleaned. It is recommended to use a damp cloth, and since the plant is poisonous, this procedure is best carried out with gloves. Diffenbachia at home is easy to clean with a terry sock, wearing a hand. We defend water in the bucket (ideally, we take boiled or even distilled water so as not to leave white stains on the sheet). We rinse the hand in the bucket and evenly wipe the entire area of the leaf without fear of sap from the plant.
By the way, the benefits and harms of Dieffenbachia are the subject of debate by amateur florists: is it possible to keep a planted flower at home with a dubious reputation?
All tropical plants are more or less poisonous. In case of unsuccessful ingestion of dieffenbachia juice to the skin, irritation in the form of redness may develop, and contact with the eyes may cause temporary blindness. From young children, of course, dieffenbachia should be removed away. But the benefits it brings a lot more than expected. It turns out that dieffenbachia at home has the unique ability to purify the air from benzene and fromaldehyde, turning the atmosphere of a city apartment into the purest air of Amazonia. Observing reasonable care can enjoy this magnificent plant that turns our home into a green kingdom.
Favorite plant: how to protect
Like all houseplants, dieffenbachia is susceptible to diseases and infections with ticks and other insects. How to grow a healthy plant?
It is necessary to make a daily inspection. Spots on the leaves, dried ends, abnormal yellowing - everything can be the first sign of the disease.
- The spider mite will make itself felt with dotted light brown spots and the semblance of a spiderweb on the bottom of a leaf. The most insidious pest, the fight against it can be delayed for months. The infected plant is immediately removed to quarantine in order to avoid infecting its neighbors. No matter how bitter it may sound, diefenbachia, which is better infected with a tick, can be eliminated altogether: the frequency of processing chemicals that kill ticks is delayed for many weeks. During this time, you can grow a new healthy fast-growing dieffenbachia.
- The shield is easily detected - its turtles are located in the leaf axils, leaf cuttings are covered with sticky coating. Effective remedy: insecticide "Aktara".
Drying of the leaves, withering of a flowering plant just yesterday is not always a sign of illness. It is afraid of drafts, changing its position relative to the light source is stressful for it, so attentive attitude and love for a green friend, Dieffenbachia, will help grow a masterpiece of indoor floriculture at home.