LED lamps - a new stage in the development of lighting technology. Knowing their basic characteristics will help you choose the optimal lighting.
The cost of an LED light bulb is several times higher than the price of an ordinary incandescent bulb. But when calculating the savings that can be obtained in the future, more and more people prefer this type of lighting. A few years ago, LED lamps were rare, but now they can be purchased in any cabin light. Consider how to choose LED lamps for the home, their characteristics, types and main advantages.
LEDs have long been used in electronics, in the dashboard of cars and various indicators. But with the development of technology, they began to be used for lighting the premises.
The popularity of LED lamps due to their advantages over other types of lighting devices. These include:
- Efficiency. The brightness of a 10 W LED lamp is equivalent to the brightness of an incandescent bulb whose power is 100 watts.
- Security. LEDs do not emit ultraviolet, which makes them safer for the retina.
- Low heat emission. LEDs give off little heat during operation, so they do not heat the air in the room.
- Durability. LED light bulb can last up to 50 thousand hours. Therefore, if you use it about 5 hours a day, then the service life may be more than 20 years.
- Durability and ease. The lamps are lighter and less fragile, which further increases the service life.
- Fast warming up. Warming up the bulb after switching on takes less than a second.
- Ecological purity. The composition does not include mercury, which makes the LEDs safer compared to energy-saving lamps.
Despite the indisputable advantages of this type of lighting, there are a number of disadvantages that must be taken into account when choosing lighting devices. These include:
- High price. One of the weighty disadvantages is the high price.
- Specific emission spectrum. Reading, sewing, and other painstaking work with the LED light bulb causes the eyes to quickly tire. However, modern lamps are of higher quality, therefore, the spectrum of the glow hardly differs from other types of lighting.
- A large number of fakes. This technology is quite expensive, so there are a lot of low-quality fakes on the market. Therefore, buying LEDs should only be in specialized stores.
- Special fixtures. To obtain optimal lighting, you must use light bulbs, the power of which is not higher than permissible in the lamps.
LEDs are quite expensive technology, so you need to know how to choose such lighting so that they last a long time and fully satisfy the consumer. Consider the main characteristics of LED lamps, which should be considered when choosing.
Particular attention should be paid to the base. It must be firmly fixed, and its marking must coincide with the cartridge. Powerful lamps have a large radiator, which should be made of ceramic, aluminum or graphite. It should be heated within 50-70 degrees and not be dialed.
The choice of LED lamps for the home, first of all, is to choose the right base. The base is a part of the lamp that ensures its contact with the power supply. In LED bulbs, it can be a pin and screw. The first of them is denoted by the symbol "G", and the second "E".
Main types of socles:
- E27. Classic base with thread. Suitable for those luminaires that are also compatible with incandescent bulbs and energy-saving lamps.
- E14. Used for modern fixtures. Most often with such a socket produced lamp type "candle".
- GU10. This base is used for installation in kitchen hoods or built-in lights for the work surface.
- GU5.3. Such bulbs can completely replace halogen lamps.
- G9. Available to replace halogen bulbs.
- G4. It is used in lamps of small size, for example, to highlight pictures.
Manufacturers indicate the life of their lamps from 20 to 50 thousand hours. However, this indicator is practically impossible to achieve in practice. But the lower the quality of materials and workmanship, the lower the final service life will be. Low-quality Chinese-made bulbs can burn out after several months of service.
To calculate the service life of LEDs, it is necessary to focus not on the operating time, but on the declared number of inclusions. For example, if 20 thousand inclusions are declared, and the light in the room is turned on 20 times a day, then the light bulb will last for about three years.
Quality LED lamp should not pulsate. If the build quality is low, the lamp can create a pulsating light. Although not visible to the human eye, it can lead to nervous strain, fatigue and tearing of the eyes.
A wide range of LED lamps can be a dead end for every customer. A few tips will help you make a balanced choice:
- Do not buy LED lamps from an unknown manufacturer. Marking must be indicated not only on the box, but also on the lamp body.
- If you want to buy lamps for the home ceiling in the bedroom or children's room, give preference to European manufacturers.
- It is necessary to buy such products in specialized stores that can provide quality certificates. This will protect against fakes.
- Quality light bulb can not be cheap. In this case, poor-quality or even toxic materials are used for its production. For durable products have to pay more.
Before buying an LED light bulb, you must weigh all the pros and cons. For lighting the bedroom and children's room, you can only use lighting without a blue spectrum, which will cost more. And for offices and offices suitable LED bulbs at a lower price. This type of lighting is promising. However, at the moment, only the products of well-known manufacturers possess high quality and the indicated indicators of durability and economy.